Road Driver-North Reading, MA
NORTH READING MA 01864
The Road Driver will drive trucks and trailers to safely and efficiently transport materials in liquid or packaged form to and from specified destinations. Operate commercial motor vehicles in urban, suburban, and rural areas to pick up and deliver freight. Load, unload and move materials at the customer location.
*ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
1. Comply with all Company policies, local work and safety rules and federal, state and local regulations that govern the industry.
2. Operate a tractor-trailer combination (single, double, or triple trailer combination) in urban, suburban, and rural environments and in all types of weather conditions between company facilities and various customers.
3. Safe operation of equipment and on-time movement of shipments between company locations and customers, meeting established run times and schedules.
4. Perform visual inspections of equipment as required by supervisors. Conduct minor repairs of commercial motor vehicles when instructed to perform such services at the direction of company management.
5. Drop and hook trailer(s) and change the configuration of equipment as necessary. Connect air hoses and electrical lines, install and remove tire chains, and manually crank dolly wheels.
6. When hauling hazardous material, verify the hazardous material product description, determine any discrepancies in the paperwork, and verify proper placarding.
7. Conduct pre-trip and post-trip inspections. Inspect the operating condition of the tractor and trailer(s) before and after the trip, and when stopped in route.
8. Drive truck to transport materials in liquid or packaged form to and from specified destinations. Verify load against shipping papers. Drive truck to specified destination, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations and roads in the area. Prepare receipt for load picked up. Collect payment for goods delivered and for delivery charges.
9. May maintain truck log according to state and federal regulations. May maintain telephone or radio contact with supervisor to receive delivery instructions. May inspect truck equipment as supplies, such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil, and water. May perform emergency roadside repairs, such as changing tires, installing light bulbs, fuses, and tire chains.
10. Participate in training programs; maintain and update driving and safety skills and knowledge; keep CDL current with an endorsement for double/triple trailers and hazardous material.
11. Perform duties in a manner that promotes superior customer service and professionalism within the Company and the industry.
1. Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
2. Building Trusting Relationships - Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
3. Collaborating - Working cooperatively with others to help a team or work group achieve its goals.
4. Communication - Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that help them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
5. Continuous Learning - Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
6. Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
7. Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
1. 21 or older.
2. Possess a valid Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) with Double/Triple and Hazardous Material endorsements . Ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle in adverse road, weather, and traffic conditions.
3. One year of tractor-trailer driving experience.
4. A current motor vehicle report (MVR) that represents a history of safe operation.
5. Read, write and speak English sufficiently to converse with the general public, understand highway and traffic signs and signals, respond to official inquiries, read a bill of lading, and make accurate entries in the daily driving log.
6. Able to follow posted safety rules and safe operating procedures to ensure proper techniques, such as lifting, are performed in the manner as which is described.
7. Work various shifts and days of the week.
*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS* * *
1. Experience in the transportation industry.
Environmental working conditions vary and employee may encounter vibration, noise, odors, and extremes in temperature and wind as well as exposure to varied weather, varied surfaces, sharp edges, varied lighting and confined and congested areas and occasionally exposure to petroleum-based products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, oil, and grease.
The position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, and maintain balance for extensive periods of time. The ability to frequently lift up to 10 lbs from floor to above waist and horizontally, and carry objects up to 50 feet. Occasionally lift up to 70 lbs. Seldomly lift up to 100 lbs. Ability to push/pull up to 148 lbs for extensive periods of time. Ability to the couple and uncouple combinations vehicles, which requires the ability to repeatedly turn a crank and operate a release lever. Ability to climb ladders on the tractor and/or trailer(s) and frequently enter and exit vehicles. Ability to perform repetitive tasks; stretch, turn, twist, and reach over head; bend, crouch, squat, kneel and stoop for extensive periods of time. The ability to operate a forklift, dolly, hand truck, pallet truck, carts, and other equipment is necessary for loading and unloading freight.
*YRC Worldwide is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer*
/Minorities/Females/Persons with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/
**Title:** *Road Driver-North Reading, MA*
**Location:** *MA-North Reading*
**Requisition ID:** *1702H1*